It is that time of the month again! When I badly need to do grocery shopping because my pantry and refrigerator have almost nothing in them anymore except for two or three items… But I can’t seem to find the time to do it this week. So I surveyed my pantry and refrigerator, and thought: “hmmm… what can I make with pasta, eggs, and bacon?” After contemplating for about 20 minutes, I had that Ah-ha moment! It was as if a lightbulb suddenly turned on above my head, like in cartoons… Why not make pasta carbonara? It is one of the easiest dishes to make, it only needs about four ingredients (all of which I have) and I can make enough that will last me for about two or three days! So the cooking begins….
- 8 ounces bacon (8 slices), cut 1-inch thick crosswise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Set a large pot of water to boil (for the pasta). In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Salt the boiling water generously; add the pasta and cook until al dente according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add the hot pasta to the egg mixture. Add the bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine (the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs). Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.