I was so ecstatic to have my first six-day vacation two weeks ago. To make it even better, it was the start of summer… And summer means grilling, hanging out by the pool/beach, concerts at the park, picnics, and all the fun stuff! Summer also means the start of sweltering weather in St. Louis. This one I’m not so excited about. So to beat the heat, I spent my first day of vacation trying to look for new recipes that will cool me off. I came across this blog entry from So Hungry I Could Blog, and I immediately decided that I am definitely going to make the creamy avocado and lime chilled pasta. It looks and sounds so refreshing, and I thought, this is a perfect side dish for summer picnics! And sure enough, it complements grilled burgers and brats. What a pleasing way to welcome the summer!
Creamy Avocado and Lime Chilled Pasta
modified from So hungry I could blog
- 12 oz dry Rotini pasta
- 2 ripe avocado
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to box instructions. Drain and allow to cool. I used tri-colored Rotini pasta, but shell pasta can also be used.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Transfer the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, mayonnaise and garlic in food processor and blend until creamy.
- Combine the mixture with the cooled pasta, and mix well. Add salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for about 30 min before serving.