I would say, Caprese is one appetizer that will really impress your guests. This is very apt for summer since the combination of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil makes this appetizer so refreshing. Added advantage of Caprese is its ease of preparation. It will take you no time to put together a very elegant appetizer that is best served when your main dish is red meat.
adapted from Edison Mays Jr.
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 22 ounces or 8 small balls mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bunches fresh basil, leaves picked and cleaned
- Rinse the tomatoes and cut them into slices, removing the stem portions.
- Slice the mozzarella balls. Place the slices of mozzarella and tomatoes to fit the plate, alternating the slices as if you are making a mozzarella burger.
- Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.