Perhaps one of the perfect combinations of fresh greens and the creamy, tangy flavor of goat cheese, this salad will make you crave for more. The crunchy-on-the-outside, soft-and-creamy-in-the-inside texture of the goat cheese adds to the wow factor of this very tasty salad. Moreover, the homemade dressing will surely impress your guests.
Additional suggestion, use dental floss to easily slice the goat cheese. The goat cheese mixture can be prepared ahead of time. In fact, the longer it is chilled, the better and firmer is the cheese.
Hope you all enjoy this very refreshing salad!
Salad with Warm Goat Cheese
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Parties
For the goat cheese mixture:
- 1 (11-ounce) log plain or herbed goat cheese
- 2 extra-large egg whites, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Fresh white bread crumbs
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp good cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp good Champagne vinegar
- Pinch sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 1 cup good olive oil
- Enough mixed salad greens for 6 servings
- Olive oil and unsalted butter, for frying
- Slice the goat cheese into 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices.
- Dip each slice into the beaten egg whites, then the bread crumbs, being sure the cheese is thoroughly coated.
- Place the slices on a rack and chill them for at least 15 minutes.
- For the dressing, place the vinegars, sugar, salt, pepper, and egg yolk in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and blend for 1 minute. With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube until the vinaigrette is thickened. Season, to taste.
- Toss the salad greens with enough dressing to moisten, then divide them among 6 plates.
- Melt 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat until just under smoking. Cook the goat cheese rounds quickly on both sides until browned on the outside but not melted inside.
- Top each salad with 2 warm rounds and serve.