After a long, stressful and tiring week, nothing beats relaxing on a Friday night with your girlfriends. I decided to host a girls night at my place and we watched the movie Bridesmaids. This movie is so A-hilarious! All of us could not stop from laughing. To make our Thank God It’s Friday even better, I decided to make us a very refreshing cocktail drink that can melt our week-long work-related frustrations. For the first time, I decided to make watermelon mojitos. When I told the ladies that I was going to make this drink, they all got so excited and happy. Who wouldn’t be? Watermelon reminds us of fun-filled summer, and the mint leaves make the drink extra refreshing. I modified the recipe a bit though, I decided to freeze half of the watermelon then combined it with the fresh watermelon in the food processor. The combination resulted in a very cold, slushy, fresh puree and everybody loved it! All in all, it was a fun-filled night filled with laughter, friendship and love.
modified from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?
- 30 large fresh mint leaves, coarsely torn by hand
- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs fresh watermelon
- 12 ounces light rum, such as Bacardi
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 6 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- Sprigs of mint and spears of watermelon, for serving
- To make a simple syrup, combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water, heat on a stove top to dissolve, and chill.
- Use a mortar and pestle to mash the mint leaves.
- Remove and discard the rind and seeds of the watermelon. Put the fruit into a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree.
- Put the mashed mint into a large pitcher with 2 cups of pureed watermelon, the rum, simple syrup, and lime juice and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a pitcher for serving.
- Place ice cubes in 6 glasses and pour the mojito mixture into the glasses. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and spears of watermelon. Serve ice-cold.