When I decided to try baking, this is the first cupcake I made. My husband requested this for his co-worker’s birthday. I told him I have never baked from scratch before, and we’ll see how it turns out. So crossing my fingers, I went to the kitchen and started measuring and mixing. Since Ina Garten’s recipes are already tried and tested, I used her recipe. It was such a great first time experience! The cupcakes were moist, and that gorgeous red color! The chocolate-y flavor of the cupcakes jives well with the sweet cream cheese frosting. I will surely make this again!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
modified from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1 tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- Red Velvet Frosting, recipe follows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute, until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until combined. Stir with a rubber spatula to be sure the batter is mixed.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups with a 2 1/4-inch ice cream scoop or large spoon. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool completely in the pans and frost the cupcakes with Red Velvet Frosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (3/4 pound)
- Place the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium speed just until combined. Don’t whip!
- Add the sugar and mix until smooth.